This dam was built in 1924 and its restoration in the 1990s allows visitors to see one of the principal features of the kauri logging industry, which extracted some 27 million linear feet (8,230,000 metres) from the Kauaeranga Valley between 1918 and 1928.
Of the 60 dams built in the valley only two remain largely intact, this one and another at Christmas Creek. Dancing Camp, the name given to both a kauri gum diggers camp and then a nearby logging camp, is thought to have gotten its name from the men-only dances held there.
Where to Find Us
Kauaeranga Valley Road